Shots On Goal And Shots Conceded In The Big 4 Leagues Of Europe
Which clubs have taken the most shots on goal this season and which have conceded the most? Today on the blog James Amey takes a look at the top 20 for shots taken and shots allowed across the big 4 leagues of Europe so far in season 2012/2013.
Today we take a look at which clubs have had the most shots per game in the top 4 leagues of Europe and which of the top 20 have been the most efficient in front of goal this season. We have broken this down into the most accurate teams, the teams that have taken the fewest shots to score and the teams that have taken the fewest shots on target to score this season.
We have also looked at the other end of the scale and compared the twenty teams that have let the opposition have the most shots against them this season, which of the bottom 20 teams have conceded the most goals from these shots against them.
To begin, we will look at which teams have had the most shots per game this season.
Most Shots Per Game
Liverpool have had 19.5 shots per game this season, which is more than any other team in the Premier League, Bundesliga, the Primera Division and Serie A. Juventus (18.7), Real Madrid (18.5), Tottenham (18.4), Man City (17.5) and Roma (17.5) make up the top six.
The top twenty consists of:
- Eight Premier League teams (Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City, Man United, Newcastle, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea)
- Four Bundesliga teams (Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen, Werder Bremen)
- Five Serie A teams (Napoli, Juventus, Fiorentina, Roma, AC Milan)
- Three Primera Division teams (Real Madrid, Rayo Vallecano, Real Sociedad)
Most and Least Accurate
Of the top 20 teams in our comparison, Bayern Munich have been the most accurate as 44% of their shots have been on target. Real Madrid have been the second most accurate team with 42% of their shots being on target this season, while Bayer Leverkusen (41%), Borussia Dortmund (40%) and Manchester United (39%) have also impressed. Of all clubs in the big 4 leagues, Barcelona has been most efficient with 47% of their shots on target this season, while the club being ranked 27th in total shots taken with 13.7 per game.
Rayo Vallecano have been the least accurate of our top 20 teams this season, with only 29% of their shots finding the target. Even though Liverpool have had the most shots per game this season, they have only managed to get 30% of their shots on target, which is something Brendan Rogers side will need to improve if they are looking to get back into the top four next season.
Roma (33%) Fiorentina, Chelsea, Arsenal and Werder Bremen (all 34%) have all struggled to find the target this season. Of all clubs in the big 4 leagues of Europe, Atalanta have had the lowest accuracy this season, with 29% of their shots landing on target, with the club ranked 64th for total shots taken at 11 per game.
Shots per Goal
Manchester United have scored with every 6.2 shots this season, which is the best shots to goal ratio out of all twenty teams in this comparison. It has taken Bayern Munich 6.3 shots to score a goal this season, while it has taken Borussia Dortmund 7.3 shots, Real Madrid 7.5 shots, Roma 8 shots and Chelsea 8.1 shots to score a goal this season. Of all clubs in the big 4 leagues of Europe, Barcelona have scored a goal with every 4.3 shots, while Hannover have managed to score once every 5.4 shots.
Rayo Vallecano has the worst shots to goal ratio out of all these twenty teams this season, as it has taken them 11.4 shots to score a goal. It has also taken Premier League teams Everton (10.9 shots), Newcastle (10.7), Tottenham (10.5) and Liverpool (10.3) more than 10 shots to score every one of their goals this season. Of all clubs in the big 4 leagues, Greuther Furth have been least efficient, taking 17.1 shots for each goal scored this season.
Most Shots Conceded Per Game
Reading and Aston Villa have both let the opposition have 17.7 shots per game this season, which is more than any other team in Europe’s top 4 leagues. Pescara (17.3), Sunderland (16.9), QPR (16.4) and West Brom (16) have all let the opposition have a high amount of shots per game this season.
The top twenty consists of:
- Eight Premier League teams make the top twenty (Reading, Aston Villa, Sunderland, QPR, Swansea, West Ham, West Brom and Fulham)
- Three Serie A teams (Pescara, Udinese, Atlanta)
- Four Bundesliga teams (Borussia M.Gladbach, Stuggart, Hamburg, Hannover)
- Five teams from the Primera Division (Levante, Valladolid, Mallorca, Athletic Bilbao, Granada)
Shots per Goal Conceded
It has taken the opposition 12.6 shots to score a goal against Swansea this season, which is more shots than any of the other teams in this comparison. It has taken the opposition 12.4 shots to score against Sunderland, 12.1 shots to score against West Brom and 11.8 shots to score against Valladolid. Of all clubs in the big 4 leagues of Europe, Bayern Munich have been the most supreme defensively, allowing a goal once every 23.4 shots while Werder Bremen have allowed a goal once every 6.1 shots.
Review Of Key Statistics
- Liverpool have had more shots per game than any other team (19.5)
- Bayern Munich have been the most accurate team (44% shooting accuracy) of the top 20 shot taking teams
- Barcelona have been the most accurate of all teams in the big 4 leagues (47% shooting accuracy)
- Manchester United have taken the fewest shots (6.2) per goal of the top 20 shot taking teams
- Barcelona have been the most efficient of all teams in the big 4 leagues (4.3) shots per goal
- Rayo Vallecano have taken the most shots to score (11.4)of the top 20 shot taking teams
- Greuther Furth have been the most inefficient in the big 4 leagues (17.1) shots per goal
- Reading and Aston Villa have let the opposition have the most shots at their goal this season (17.7)
- It has taken the opposition 12.6 shots to score against Swansea, more than any other of the top 20 teams
- It has taken the opposition 23.4 shots to score against Bayern Munich, more than any other club in the big 4 leagues
- It has taken the opposition 7.9 shots to score against Mallorca, less than any other of the top 20 teams
- It has taken the opposition 6.1 shots to score against Werder Bremen, less than any other club in the big 4 leagues
All statistics were taken from WhoScored.com
Follow James on Twitter: @jamesamey316
- Tag: Football