The Football Championship (formerly known as 2nd Division) is one of the most competitive football leagues in Europe, with clubs competing each season for the prize of promotion to England's first tier, the Premier League. Each season the clubs finishing 1st and 2nd achieve automatic promotion while clubs finishing 3rd to 6th enter a playoff series with winner earning the right to play in one of the world's richest sporting leagues the following season.
The most successful club in Championship (and 2nd division) football has been Manchester City who have finished top on 7 occasions, while Leicester City have won 6 titles with both Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland claiming 5 each.
English Football Championship Stats
Over the past 5 Football Championship seasons:
- Home clubs have won 44% of matches played, with away clubs winning an equal of 28% with drawn contests.
- Matches ended over 2.5 goals 48% of the time with matches ending over 3.5 goals in 27% of matches played.
- Home clubs scored first in 52% of matches while the away club scored the opening goal in 40% of matches, leaving 8% of matches as scoreless draws.
- Both clubs scored in 53% of matches, while home clubs went scoreless in 22% of matches with away clubs unable to get on the scoreboard 32% of the time.
- When home clubs scored first they went on to win the match 72% of the time, while when away clubs scored first they won the match 59% of the time.
bettingexpert's Best Championship Tipsters
The Football Championship is one of our community's most profitable leagues to bet on. If you're wondering which of our tipsters to follow for Football Championship tips, use our Tipster Stats Tool. It's the easiest way to find the best Football Championship tips.
Bet on the Championship with William Hill
William Hill is one of the most respected and trusted bookmakers in the business. And they're currently offering new customers a free bet up to the value of £25. So open an account with the UK's leading bookmaker, William Hill today.