This site contains commercial content

mixed-martial-arts | Monday, July 4, 2022 10:32 AM (Revised at: Friday, August 5, 2022 8:28 AM)

UFC 279 Khamzat Chimaev vs Nate Diaz Preview and Betting Odds: Borz Keeps Rolling

UFC 279 Khamzat Chimaev vs Nate Diaz Preview and Betting Odds: Borz Keeps Rolling
Contributor: Px Images / Alamy Stock Photo

UFC 279 Khamzat Chimaev vs Nate Diaz: Saturday, September 10th

The main event of UFC 279 will feature Khamzat Chimaev taking on Nate Diaz on Saturday, September 10th. The no.3 ranked fighter in the Welterweight division Khamzat Chimaev is looking to potentially earn a title shot with a win over a huge name, but Nate Diaz has never been a pushover, and the job certainly won’t be easy. Have a look at the article below for my analysis of the fight and what the bookmakers have to say.

In this article:


Khamzat Chimaev vs Nate Diaz Preview

Where to begin? I was contemplating whether I should mention the circumstances in which this fight was made, but I wouldn’t be doing my job if I failed to at least mention them. Long story short, Nate Diaz has made it clear that he wants out of the UFC. What he plans on doing next (probably boxing YouTubers) is entirely his business, but one thing is certain – Nate Diaz doesn’t want to fight anymore.

So why are we all here? Diaz still has one more fight left on his contract before he can hang up the gloves, and the UFC decided to pair him up against the 28-year-old no.3 contender in the division, Khamzat Chimaev. Nate Diaz has been with the UFC for the last 14 years, and in that time he has fought 25 times. Diaz holds a career MMA record of 20 wins and 13 losses and is one of the most prominent names in the organization. He’s beaten the likes of Conor McGregor, Donald Cerrone, Anthony Pettis, Junior Assunção and more.

He is most known in the UFC as a very durable fighter with decent stand-up and elite Jiu-Jitsu, who can withstand even the most powerful of strikes, and rally back to win. He isn’t a power puncher, and he isn’t going to ragdoll people around in the octagon, but he can get submissions over tired opponents, and even pull off the occasional TKO. Diaz excels in 5-round events where he can tire out his opponents, but this outcome is not likely this time around.

Let’s face it, this is a terrible match-up for Nate Diaz for a lot of reasons. Khamzat Chimaev is bigger, stronger, younger and more motivated than Nate Diaz. He just reached the top-3 in the Welterweights after defeating Gilbert Burns, and although we can all agree he isn’t ready to face Usman yet, it’s almost time to start talking about an interim title bout against Colby. Although he wasn’t as dominant against Burns as he was in his previous fights, Chimaev is still a force to be reckoned with, so let’s hope the UFC doesn’t suddenly decide to bring Mario Yamasaki back for a one-fight contract. Jokes aside, this is a terrible match-up!

Chimaev is an elite wrestler, who averages 3.23 takedowns per 15 minutes, and is more than capable of using his striking to get to the ground. Once he’s on the ground, it’s all top-control and ground & pound. There’s really no way around it, Khamzat is taking you down and pounding your face unless your name is Kamaru Usman or Colby Covington, of course.

Khamzat Chimaev vs Nate Diaz Betting Odds

So, what do the bookmakers have to say about all this? Exactly what I’m telling you now. They have Chimaev at 1.07 odds to win, whilst Diaz is available as a 7.20-odds underdog.

This accounts for an 87% win probability for Chimaev and just 13% for Diaz. We have yet to receive additional odds for the other markets, but you can get a very clear idea of what everyone is expecting.

What’s more, according to Unibet, 79% of bettors are backing Chimaev to win, whilst just 21% are picking Diaz.


Odds as at 03:00 pm August 4th 2022. Odds may now differ.

Get Khamzat Chimaev vs Nate Diaz tips at bettingexpert


UFC Betting News & Tips
MMA Betting News & Tips
UFC bettingexpert Community Tips
MMA bettingexpert Community Tips

Like the article:2

LATEST COMMENTS

No comments yet
Chat